April 6, 1950 – September 14, 2023
Edward Sarmento passed away peacefully on Thursday, September 14, 2023 at his home in Yreka.
Ed was born April 6, 1950 to Edward “Chief” and Betty (Heisinger) Sarmento in Santa Cruz. Ed was raised in San Mateo in the Bay Area. While attending Hillsdale High School, Ed played football, and his earliest claim to fame was getting kicked in the face by former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver and Hall of Famer, Lynn Swann. Ed’s escapades continued into adulthood, as he worked as a timber-faller for over 40 years. He was even once featured in prominent Logging Magazine. In the non-logging season, Ed worked as a cowboy, a rancher, and a trapper. He broke horses, he rodeo’d, he hunted and he fished. He was a true Siskiyou County outdoorsman, enjoying long hikes and walks until his health forced him to stop. Ed was popular and successful on the Siskiyou County rodeo scene: a 5 time All-Around Cowboy at the Pleasure Park Rodeo! Ed could often be found at 3 J’s in Grenada, where he spent many days with some of his dearest friends.
More important than his accomplishments or hobbies was Ed’s character. He was a hard worker, a friend to all he met, and he was never once known for turning down a friend in need. Ed loved his family, his friends, and his community.
Ed is survived by his three daughters: Paula Sarmento (Ryan Haines) of Montague, Sara Sarmento of Montague, and Joann Sarmento (Chuck Williams) of Yreka; his brothers, Tony of Redmond, Oregon and Jim of Sacramento; 8 grandchildren: Rhys, Marina, Louie, Quincy, Jay, Maggie, Eddie, Noah, and an almost-great-grandchild – expected Thanksgiving Day of this year. Ed is also survived by his best-friend-and-ex-wife, his true love, Maureen Jones, who cared for and supported Ed in his declining health.
The family would like to extend their profound thanks and gratitude to Madrone Hospice and Girdner Funeral Chapel for their care, compassion, and guidance during this difficult and challenging time.
No formal services are to be held. Ed will be laid to rest at the I.O.O.F. Cemetery in Boulder Creek with his kin.
Services will be set for a future date to be determine
- Brenda Jean MoweryNovember 19, 1968 – November 20, 2023 Brenda Mowery Obituary 55 year old Yreka resident, Brenda Jean Mowery, passed away on November 20, 2023 at Fairchild Medical Center. Brenda was born November 19, 1968 in Oregon to Jim and Linda Carlson. Brenda worked for years as a migrant working, traveling constantly to wherever the work took her… Read more: Brenda Jean Mowery
- Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr.April 23, 1944 – November 20, 2023 Robert Aubrey Sr. Obituary Lifelong Siskiyou County resident, Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr., passed away on November 20, 2023 at his home in Yreka. Robert was born on April 23, 1944 in Yreka. At age 15, he lied about his age in order to secure a job at a local lumber… Read more: Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr.
- Earl Eugene Joling24 Mar 1935 – 27 Nov 2023 Obituary Earl Joling Sr., longtime Grenada resident, peacefully left this earth to be with the Lord on November 27, 2023 in Yreka with his family at his bedside. He was 88 years old. Earl was born on March 24, 1935 in Redlands, California. He was a farmer in… Read more: Earl Eugene Joling
- Carolyn Jane Hill23 Aug 1935 – 17 Nov 2023 Obituary Carolyn Jane Hill passed away peacefully at home on Hospice care on November 17, 2023. Carol was born August 23, 1935 in Marilla, New York to Whitford and Evelyn (Long) Munn, one of six children: Jean, Virginia (Roy), Whitford Jr “Buster”, Richard (Mary), and Onalee (Paul). The… Read more: Carolyn Jane Hill
- Russell Joseph CulpDecember 13, 1947 – November 16, 2023 Russell Joseph Culp, born on December 13, 1947, peacefully left this earth to be with the Lord on November 16, 2023. He leaves behind his loving wife of 45 years, Mary Jo Culp; children Tammy Culp, Jeremy Culp (Debbie), and Tiffany Culp; his brother Winston, sister Eleanor, 7 grandchildren, 5… Read more: Russell Joseph Culp