August 12, 1929 – September 17, 2023
Lois Eileen Smith (GMa LoLo) at age 94 went to be with our Lord on September 17, 2023. Living with congestive heart failure & atrial fibrillation since 2010, she was still active, lived alone, and drove her car until the age of 91. Lois was born on August 12, 1929 in Springfield, Illinois to William Charles and Helen Edna (Mester) Ziegler. Her 3 older brothers, William Louis, Robert Glenn, Clark Albert Ziegler, and her nephew, Robert Thomas Ziegler have all pre-deceased her as did her 2 sons, Dale William Shaw and Frank Edwin Shaw, Jr., daughter, Teresa Elizabeth Smith Garuz, great-granddaughter, Camille Rose Jaeger, and loving husband of 32 years, Milton Seymour Smith.
When Lois was in the 4th grade, she was in a combination 4/5 class. She’d complete her 4th grade work but would listen to the 5th grade assignments and hand them in to the teacher also. The next year she skipped 5th grade and went on to the 6th grade. At age 15, she converted to Catholicism by befriending a woman who played the organ at her Lutheran Church and also at the Catholic Church. Both Lois and her mother, Helen, played the piano expertly. Lois graduated from high school at age 16, she had been a cheerleader, the homecoming queen, and worked on the tri-school newspaper where she met her 1st husband, Frank E. Shaw. They married August 6, 1949 and moved to St. Louis, MO where Frank attended law school and they welcomed their first child, Dale. They then settled back in Springfield, IL and had 5 more children. In August 1962 with no air conditioning, Lois drove 2,000 miles in 7 days from IL to CA with her 6 children, her cousin Loretta, and daughter, Sally. They settled in Pomona, CA to be with Lois’ mother and brothers. In 1969, she received her BA in Social Studies with a Minor in Psychology at Cal Poly Pomona. She worked as a Social Worker and later studied with Moshe Feldenkrais in Israel to become a Feldenkrais Practioner, a holistic method to ease pain through gentle movement with holistic integration of the body and mind.
In 1962, Lois and her 6 children met Milton and Evelyn Smith with their 6 children who lived across the street. They were family friends with children the same ages attending St. Joseph Elementary School in Pomona. When Lois and her children moved in 1966 to another area of Pomona, they met the Vislay family and her best friend to this day, AnnRoy. After Milton had been a widower, Danny and Cecily asked if their parents would like to join them on a picnic. Lois and Milton then married on September 7, 1974. They were active in the lives of their 12 children, 27 grandchildren, 43 great-grandchildren (+ 1 due in January), 1 great-great grandchild, 11 nieces & nephews, 16 great-nieces & nephews, 15 great-great-nieces & nephews, and 2 great-great-great-nieces & nephews (+ 1 due in April). Together they attended graduations (8th grade through doctorate), birthday parties, family dinners, open houses, award ceremonies, plays, musical performances, sports games, rodeos, brandings, religious Sacraments, Girl Scouts, school field trips, baby & bridal showers, weddings, grandchildren births plus staying months to help the new parents, and they hosted many family holiday dinners. GMa LoLo loved shopping for all the above occasions to give gifts or would give money or coins. She and GPa Miltie delighted in the grandchildren’s and great-grandchildren’s joy of receiving the gift. Lois and Milton’s favorite holiday was Easter where they’d hide plastic filled eggs with assigned colors and the names of each grandchild. They loved seeing the children’s excitement searching for and opening their personal color eggs filled with goodies.
We all miss her dearly and her great sense of humor.
Lois and Milton’s 12 children are:
Dale (Sharon) Shaw, Cyndy (George) Jaeger, Vivian (Kenny) Lamphear, Frank Jr. (Tina) Shaw, Cecily (Peter) Scala, Michelle (Victor) Wahl, Stephanie Smith, Bob Smith, Teri (Miguel) Garuz, Lorrie (Peter) Raia, Danny Smith, and Rose Sullivan.
Their 27 grandchildren are:
Katrina, Heidi, Hans, Hayden, Ryan, Dylan, Jennifer, Carissa, Katie, Crystal, Alyssa, Adriana, Jeffrey, Amelia, Rob, Brian, Matt, Sarah, David, Elizabeth, Howard, Julie, Roberto, Julia, Jenilee, Peter, and Daniel.
Lois’ Nieces and Nephews are:
Tommy (Janet) Ziegler, Judy (AL) Foster, Chuck (Jane) Metzger, Nancy (Scott) Humes, Linda (Barry) Turner, Sherry (Greg) Kipp, MaryEllen (Loyal) Smith, Mike (Mary) Shaw, Patti (Steve) Groenek, Kenny (Joy) Shaw, Lynette (Shane) Clontz.
Lois and Milton’s Service with Military Honors will be:
Tuesday, November 21, 2023 @2:00pm
Riverside National Cemetery
22495 Van Buren Blvd.
Riverside, CA 92518
Service is outside with a roof covering and a few benches
Wear something orange, her favorite color & cowboy/girl boots if you have them
In lieu of flowers, you may make a donation to:
255 Collier Circle
Yreka, CA 96097
- Brenda Jean MoweryNovember 19, 1968 – November 20, 2023 Brenda Mowery Obituary 55 year old Yreka resident, Brenda Jean Mowery, passed away on November 20, 2023 at Fairchild Medical Center. Brenda was born November 19, 1968 in Oregon to Jim and Linda Carlson. Brenda worked for years as a migrant working, traveling constantly to wherever the work took her… Read more: Brenda Jean Mowery
- Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr.April 23, 1944 – November 20, 2023 Robert Aubrey Sr. Obituary Lifelong Siskiyou County resident, Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr., passed away on November 20, 2023 at his home in Yreka. Robert was born on April 23, 1944 in Yreka. At age 15, he lied about his age in order to secure a job at a local lumber… Read more: Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr.
- Earl Eugene Joling24 Mar 1935 – 27 Nov 2023 Obituary Earl Joling Sr., longtime Grenada resident, peacefully left this earth to be with the Lord on November 27, 2023 in Yreka with his family at his bedside. He was 88 years old. Earl was born on March 24, 1935 in Redlands, California. He was a farmer in… Read more: Earl Eugene Joling
- Carolyn Jane Hill23 Aug 1935 – 17 Nov 2023 Obituary Carolyn Jane Hill passed away peacefully at home on Hospice care on November 17, 2023. Carol was born August 23, 1935 in Marilla, New York to Whitford and Evelyn (Long) Munn, one of six children: Jean, Virginia (Roy), Whitford Jr “Buster”, Richard (Mary), and Onalee (Paul). The… Read more: Carolyn Jane Hill
- Russell Joseph CulpDecember 13, 1947 – November 16, 2023 Russell Joseph Culp, born on December 13, 1947, peacefully left this earth to be with the Lord on November 16, 2023. He leaves behind his loving wife of 45 years, Mary Jo Culp; children Tammy Culp, Jeremy Culp (Debbie), and Tiffany Culp; his brother Winston, sister Eleanor, 7 grandchildren, 5… Read more: Russell Joseph Culp