December 6, 1934 – November 1, 2023
Bud Russell peacefully passed away with his children by his side at Fairchild Medical Center on November 1, 2023; he was 88 years old.
Bud and his twin sister, Charlotte, were born in Yreka on December 6, 1934. Bud was the fourth of five children born to Claude Hovey Russell and Violet May Brooks Russell.
The Russell family first came to Yreka during the late 1800s. Bud’s grandfather, James Buchanan “JB” Russell started the JB Russell and Sons Monument Company, which was operated by Bud’s father until 1945. Many of the early headstones and grave markers in local cemeteries were crafted by JB Russell and his sons. JB built the stone archway that still sits at the entrance to the Yreka Park (Miner Street Park) in 1921. The Yreka Enrichment Fund committee is currently working to restore the archway for future generations.
Bud started working at the Purity Market while still in high school. He later went to work for Safeway until about 1982. After leaving Safeway, he worked for his brother, Harvey, at the SY Auto Supply/Napa Store until he retired.
Bud married his high school sweetheart Jackie Frenick on June 19, 1955. Their marriage lasted 18 years. Together they had three children, Donna (David) Jerden of Medford, Patricia (Gary) Walker of Cottonwood, and Donald (Cheri) Russell of Red Bluff. Bud is also survived by eight grandchildren, Katie (Brian), April (Justin), Jason (Tori), Kerri (Michael), Kristi, Ryan (Crystal), Zachary (Ashley), and Dylan; as well as eight great grandchildren, Abigail, Evelyn, Asher, Elianna, Haille, Joshua, Caiden, and Zoe, and numerous cousins, nieces, and nephews.
Bud was preceded in death by his parents and his siblings, Harvey Russell, Barbara Hailey, Charlotte Krout, and Blanch VanBuskirk, as well as his partner for the past 20+ years, Margaret Charlotte Kerr.
One of Bud’s favorite activities was bowling, where he made many cherished friends. Anyone who has bowled at the Yreka bowling alley in the past 65 years probably knew him.
The family would like to thank the nurses and staff of Fairchild Medical Center for the compassion and care for Dad and us during his final days.
A private burial will be held at the family plot in Evergreen Cemetery at a yet to be determined date.
- Brenda Jean MoweryNovember 19, 1968 – November 20, 2023 Brenda Mowery Obituary 55 year old Yreka resident, Brenda Jean Mowery, passed away on November 20, 2023 at Fairchild Medical Center. Brenda was born November 19, 1968 in Oregon to Jim and Linda Carlson. Brenda worked for years as a migrant working, traveling constantly to wherever the work took her… Read more: Brenda Jean Mowery
- Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr.April 23, 1944 – November 20, 2023 Robert Aubrey Sr. Obituary Lifelong Siskiyou County resident, Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr., passed away on November 20, 2023 at his home in Yreka. Robert was born on April 23, 1944 in Yreka. At age 15, he lied about his age in order to secure a job at a local lumber… Read more: Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr.
- Earl Eugene Joling24 Mar 1935 – 27 Nov 2023 Obituary Earl Joling Sr., longtime Grenada resident, peacefully left this earth to be with the Lord on November 27, 2023 in Yreka with his family at his bedside. He was 88 years old. Earl was born on March 24, 1935 in Redlands, California. He was a farmer in… Read more: Earl Eugene Joling
- Carolyn Jane Hill23 Aug 1935 – 17 Nov 2023 Obituary Carolyn Jane Hill passed away peacefully at home on Hospice care on November 17, 2023. Carol was born August 23, 1935 in Marilla, New York to Whitford and Evelyn (Long) Munn, one of six children: Jean, Virginia (Roy), Whitford Jr “Buster”, Richard (Mary), and Onalee (Paul). The… Read more: Carolyn Jane Hill
- Russell Joseph CulpDecember 13, 1947 – November 16, 2023 Russell Joseph Culp, born on December 13, 1947, peacefully left this earth to be with the Lord on November 16, 2023. He leaves behind his loving wife of 45 years, Mary Jo Culp; children Tammy Culp, Jeremy Culp (Debbie), and Tiffany Culp; his brother Winston, sister Eleanor, 7 grandchildren, 5… Read more: Russell Joseph Culp