January 4, 1940 – September 4, 2023
It is with great sorrow that I announce the loss of my mom’s loving husband, our much-loved dad and Popa: Ronald “Red” Hockaday. He was 83, born January 4, 1940 in Yreka, to Charlie & Pauline Hockaday.
Ronald went by many nicknames: Redhead, Red and Sonny. Red passed peacefully in his home on September 4, 2023, surrounded by his loving wife and daughters. He was a Karuk Tribal member. He grew up and went to school in Happy Camp, along with his sisters Paula McCarthy, Charlene “Sis” Carlson & Toni McLane. He had a twin, Donald, that passed at three months old. After high school he went into the United States Army. When returning from the Army, Red married his high school sweetheart & the love of his life – Glenda, and spent 62 years of marriage together! He was blessed with two daughter’s that loved him beyond words, Rondi Hockaday-Johnson and Lori Hockaday-Lemons. He also had three grandchildren: Jordana Carpenter (Travis), Kelcii Lopez (Tony) and Tanner Lemons, along with five great grandchildren, Trenton, Kameron, Rylee, Kolton & Kyler. He had multiple aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews & cousins that he loved dearly!
Red is preceded in death by his parents Charlie & Pauline, siblings Donald & Sis.
He loved hunting, fishing and most of all his family. He was a great man with the biggest heart ever and always had a smile. He is greatly missed by all already!
A celebration of life will be held September 16, 2023 from 1:00pm to 3:00pm at the Yreka Karuk Tribal Housing Administration building on 1836 Apsuun St. in Yreka. Come and reminisce about this wonderful man we love so much!
In lieu of flowers please donate to the Rescue Ranch or your favorite charity.
Much love – the Hockaday Family
Celebration Of Life
Saturday, September 16, 2023
1:00PM – 3:00PM
Karuk Housing Office
Yreka, CA 96097
- Mary Beth CatalanoSeptember 18, 1942 – September 21, 2023 Obituary Longtime Siskiyou County resident Mary Beth Catalano passed away on September 21, 2023 at her home in Mount Shasta. She had just celebrated her 81st birthday on September 18. Mary is survived by her children: Linda Nichols (Brett), Lisa Bennett (Dana) and Jesse Reece; two stepchildren, Terry Barlow (Mike) … Read more
- Lois Eileen SmithAugust 12, 1929 – September 17, 2023 Obituary Lois Eileen Smith (GMa LoLo) at age 94 went to be with our Lord on September 17, 2023. Living with congestive heart failure & atrial fibrillation since 2010, she was still active, lived alone, and drove her car until the age of 91. Lois was born on August 12, … Read more
- Edward Duncan SarmentoApril 6, 1950 – September 14, 2023 Obituary Edward Sarmento passed away peacefully on Thursday, September 14, 2023 at his home in Yreka. Ed was born April 6, 1950 to Edward “Chief” and Betty (Heisinger) Sarmento in Santa Cruz. Ed was raised in San Mateo in the Bay Area. While attending Hillsdale High School, Ed played football, … Read more
- Lawrie Ann SalvestrinJuly 5, 1952 – August 23, 2023 “With heavy hearts we announce the passing of our sister, Lawrie Ann Salvestrin, age 71. Lawrie was born in Weed, California on July 5, 1952, to Fred T. and Cesira Piva Salvestrin. She was a proud graduate of Weed Elementary and Weed High schools and College of the … Read more
- Alan Roy MeyersApril 11, 1957 – September 7, 2023 Obituary Alan Roy Meyers was born April 11, 1957 in Yreka, California. He lived in many places throughout his life including Sacramento, Santa Cruz, and Southern Oregon. He spent the last 35 years in Yreka where he passed on September 7, 2023. He is the firstborn child and only son … Read more