April 17, 1933 – August 3, 2023
Longtime Yreka resident, Carol Ellen Shuhardt, passed away on Thursday, August 3, 2023 at the Madrone Hospice House in Yreka. She was 90 years old.
Carol was born April 17, 1933 to Lee and Caroline Meddings in Ohio. Carol married James Allen “Jim” Shuhardt, whom she had met at a church league softball game, May 31, 1952 while Jim was on leave from boot camp in the U.S. Marine Corps. The two remained married until Jim’s death in 2014. They made their home in Santa Ana from 1965 until 1992. While in Santa Ana, Carol served as the director of the nursery school at First Christian Church of Santa Ana. She loved her church family and devoted much of her time and energy to the children at her church. After moving to Siskiyou County in 1992, Carol and Jim joined the Yreka Berean Church, and Carol became the office manager for Environmental Alternatives, a program dedicated to youth foster services. It was at church and on the job that Carol found her calling.
Carol will be remembered by her family as somebody who was always willing to participate in events and outings with her children and grandchildren, including white water rafting! Carol loved her family, loved her children, grandchildren, neighbors, and friends. Her family is at peace knowing that she has been reunited with Jim in heaven.
Carol was preceded in death by her husband of 62 years, Jim; a daughter, Leann Gordon; a son, Peter. She is survived by her children, Janet Trumble and Jon Shuhardt, 5 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren.
A graveside funeral service for Carol will be held on Wednesday, August 16 at 10:00 a.m. at Evergreen Cemetery in Yreka.
Wednesday, August 16, 2023
853 Evergreen Lane
Yreka, CA 96097
- Mary Beth CatalanoSeptember 18, 1942 – September 21, 2023 Obituary Longtime Siskiyou County resident Mary Beth Catalano passed away on September 21, 2023 at her home in Mount Shasta. She had just celebrated her 81st birthday on September 18. Mary is survived by her children: Linda Nichols (Brett), Lisa Bennett (Dana) and Jesse Reece; two stepchildren, Terry Barlow (Mike) … Read more
- Lois Eileen SmithAugust 12, 1929 – September 17, 2023 Obituary Lois Eileen Smith (GMa LoLo) at age 94 went to be with our Lord on September 17, 2023. Living with congestive heart failure & atrial fibrillation since 2010, she was still active, lived alone, and drove her car until the age of 91. Lois was born on August 12, … Read more
- Edward Duncan SarmentoApril 6, 1950 – September 14, 2023 Obituary Edward Sarmento passed away peacefully on Thursday, September 14, 2023 at his home in Yreka. Ed was born April 6, 1950 to Edward “Chief” and Betty (Heisinger) Sarmento in Santa Cruz. Ed was raised in San Mateo in the Bay Area. While attending Hillsdale High School, Ed played football, … Read more
- Lawrie Ann SalvestrinJuly 5, 1952 – August 23, 2023 “With heavy hearts we announce the passing of our sister, Lawrie Ann Salvestrin, age 71. Lawrie was born in Weed, California on July 5, 1952, to Fred T. and Cesira Piva Salvestrin. She was a proud graduate of Weed Elementary and Weed High schools and College of the … Read more
- Alan Roy MeyersApril 11, 1957 – September 7, 2023 Obituary Alan Roy Meyers was born April 11, 1957 in Yreka, California. He lived in many places throughout his life including Sacramento, Santa Cruz, and Southern Oregon. He spent the last 35 years in Yreka where he passed on September 7, 2023. He is the firstborn child and only son … Read more