The past few days, the international news outlet The Guardian featured the research of local Siskiyou County rancher-naturalist William E. Simpson II in its online and print editions in the United Kingdom and the U.S.
As a former member of the Future Famers of America and rancher in the 1960’s, Simpson’s foundational understanding of the value of livestock grazing using cattle and sheep to help manage wildfire fuels has been augmented by his research with wild horses, supported by his training in science at Oregon State University combined with his experience as a logger and forest-land manager.
Simpson was on the 2018 Klamathon Fire fire-line for 9-days as the local knowledge advisor at the Camp Creek operational base for CALFIRE.
The large areas of reduced grass and brush fuels and firebreaks created by the herd of horses in the area gave CALFIRE the edge that helped their wildfire suppression efforts succeed, saving the Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument from total incineration. Unfortunately, the toxic smoke from that wildfire claimed the life of Simpson’s wife, Laura Simpson.
- Christopher Webb BayukJanuary 30, 1960 – September 26, 2023 Obituary Christopher Webb Bayuk, beloved son and father, passed away on September 26, 2023 at his home in Yreka. We will forever remember him for his sense of humor, endless empathy and kindness. We love you Dad, always and forever.
- Historic Ocean Action: Three Federally-Recognized California Tribal Nations Declare First U.S. Indigenous Marine Stewardship Area Yurok-Tolowa-Dee-ni’ Indigenous Marine Stewardship Area is announced on California Native American Day for the purposes of Indigenous Governance, Stewardship and Management of nearly 700 square miles of ocean and coastal territory and waters Sacramento, CA (September 22, 2023) – It’s an unprecedented day for Indigenous sovereignty and Indigenous-led coastal conservation as three federally-recognized California Tribal Nations announce the Yurok-Tolowa-Dee-ni’ Indigenous Marine Stewardship Area – the … Read more
- Siskiyou Rancher – Outdoorsman – Hunting & Fishing Guides letter To California F&G CommissionCalifornia Fish and Game Commission and Director Bonham, I would like to express concerns about the wolves currently inhabiting California, specifically in Siskiyou County. There are several issues related to these wolves that I believe require the attention of both the Commission and the Department. Given that wildlife is considered a public trust, I firmly … Read more
- Vacancy on the Planning and Service Area 2 (PSA2) Area Agency on Aging Advisory CouncilCounty of Siskiyou Press Release Laura Bynum, County Clerk-Registrar of Voters Date: October 2, 2023 The Siskiyou County Clerk announces that there is one unscheduled vacancy on the Planning and Service Area 2 (PSA2) Area Agency on Aging Advisory Council for a four-year term. The PSA 2 Area Agency on Aging Advisory Council is composed … Read more
- FOREST HEALTH RESEARCH GRANTS SUPPORT CUTTING-EDGE SCIENTIFIC RESEARCHINTO FOREST PRACTICES, MANAGEMENT, AND EDUCATIONGrantee research provides critical information and tools to forest landowners, resource agencies, firemanagement organizations, and policy makers across California CAL FIRE NEWS RELEASE Sacramento – The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL. FIRE) Forest Health Research Program has awarded $5.5 million to support 15 scientific research studies. The results of these studies will … Read more