November 13, 1931 – October 8, 2023
Irvin Jack Cowley, born on November 13, 1931, departed this world on October 8, 2023. He is survived by his 7 children: Kathryn, Cindy, David (Colleen), Steven (Valeen), Brian (Diane), Gordon, and Brent, as well as 15 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren. Jack Cowley’s journey on this earth came to a peaceful end on Sunday, October 8th, as he was reunited with his beloved wife of 60 years, Barbara Cowley.
Jack and Barbara’s love story began in their first-grade classroom, and after his service in the Air Force, they were married on November 21, 1955. Jack’s career in the medical field took off with his admission to George Washington Medical School in 1957. In 1960, he embarked on an ophthalmology residency at UCLA. During this time, Jack and Barbara relocated to Sacramento.
While Jack dedicated himself to raising his growing family and establishing his medical practice, he and Barbara also became the proud owners of a ranch in Siskiyou County. In 1995, they made their home in the cherished Little Shasta Valley. Jack’s passion for ophthalmology remained steadfast, and he played a pivotal role in the establishment of the Siskiyou Eye Center in Yreka. It wasn’t until 2018 that he retired from his work at the eye center to focus his full attention on his beloved cattle ranch.
Throughout his lifetime, Jack made significant contributions to various organizations and communities. He served as an associate professor at UC Davis, held the position of president in the International Brangus Breeder Association, was a member of the Advisory Committee for the National Beef Cattle Evaluation Consortium, and served as President of the California Cattlemen’s Association, among other roles in cattle associations. He could often be spotted tootling behind the wheel of his truck, diligently overseeing his cherished cattle ranch.
Jack was not only a dedicated professional but also a loving husband and a caring father. His absence will be deeply felt by all who knew and loved him. Memorial services in his honor will be held on Friday, November 3 at 11:00 a.m. at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on Miner Street in Yreka.
NOV 3rd 2023
Friday, November 3, 2023
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
1001 W. Miner Street
Yreka, CA 96097
Final Resting Place
Little Shasta Cemetery
1412 Harry Cash Road
Montague, CA 96064
- Brenda Jean MoweryNovember 19, 1968 – November 20, 2023 Brenda Mowery Obituary 55 year old Yreka resident, Brenda Jean Mowery, passed away on November 20, 2023 at Fairchild Medical Center. Brenda was born November 19, 1968 in Oregon to Jim and Linda Carlson. Brenda worked for years as a migrant working, traveling constantly to wherever the work took her… Read more: Brenda Jean Mowery
- Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr.April 23, 1944 – November 20, 2023 Robert Aubrey Sr. Obituary Lifelong Siskiyou County resident, Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr., passed away on November 20, 2023 at his home in Yreka. Robert was born on April 23, 1944 in Yreka. At age 15, he lied about his age in order to secure a job at a local lumber… Read more: Robert Eugene Aubrey Sr.
- Earl Eugene Joling24 Mar 1935 – 27 Nov 2023 Obituary Earl Joling Sr., longtime Grenada resident, peacefully left this earth to be with the Lord on November 27, 2023 in Yreka with his family at his bedside. He was 88 years old. Earl was born on March 24, 1935 in Redlands, California. He was a farmer in… Read more: Earl Eugene Joling
- Carolyn Jane Hill23 Aug 1935 – 17 Nov 2023 Obituary Carolyn Jane Hill passed away peacefully at home on Hospice care on November 17, 2023. Carol was born August 23, 1935 in Marilla, New York to Whitford and Evelyn (Long) Munn, one of six children: Jean, Virginia (Roy), Whitford Jr “Buster”, Richard (Mary), and Onalee (Paul). The… Read more: Carolyn Jane Hill
- Russell Joseph CulpDecember 13, 1947 – November 16, 2023 Russell Joseph Culp, born on December 13, 1947, peacefully left this earth to be with the Lord on November 16, 2023. He leaves behind his loving wife of 45 years, Mary Jo Culp; children Tammy Culp, Jeremy Culp (Debbie), and Tiffany Culp; his brother Winston, sister Eleanor, 7 grandchildren, 5… Read more: Russell Joseph Culp