The south side of the Klamath National Forest received numerous lightning strikes. #KlamathNF firefighters responded to multiple smoke reports. Crews were dispatched quickly to check them for validity.
New fire: The Grant Fire near Wild Lake is confirmed at three to five acres. They have aircraft executing water drops, a hot shot crew is responding, and smoke jumpers are on the ground.
The KNF has aerial recon checking on these fires and looking for any additional fires that have not been reported.
The south side of the Klamath National Forest received numerous lightning strikes last night. There are twelve reports of fires. Seven of these have resources on them, one is contained, one is scheduled for containment tonight end of shift. Fire Management has ordered more resources to support these new fires.
Update: The Grant Fire near Wild Lake is currently at twenty-eight acres. Resources include aircraft, a hotshot crew is enroute and available for tomorrow’s operations and seventeen smoke jumpers. Moderate potential of growth. The top and the left flank of the fire have a hand line completed.
Update/ Name change from the Panther: The Horse Fire is located north of Seiad. Resources (five engines and one dozer) are working the fire. There is completed line around the fire. This evening the crews began to mop up.
Update: The Deacon Fire east of Sawyers Bar was a single tree with minimum ground fire. This one is contained and in patrol status.
Update: The Hickey Fire, southeast of Sawyers Bar; Repeller’s are on scene. It is a 10’ X10’ ground fire with a snag burning. It has low potential for growth. Estimated containment is tonight Sept. 17, 2023.
Update: The Creole Fire near the Russian Trailhead was checked this morning, and they were unable to locate it.
New fire: The Meadow Fire located just below the Grant Fire has smoke jumpers on it.
New fire: The Uncle Fire is one tenth of an acre with smoke jumpers working on it.
Update: The Tanner Fire is staffed with repellers.
New Incidents: The Abbot and the Pierce and East Fires are not staffed.
Update: The Peak Fire near Idyllwild Campground is one tenth of an acre and not staffed.
The #KlamathNF has a local helicopter developing a plan to get resources into the unstaffed fires tomorrow.
- HISTORY: COPCOLAND, IN THE “STATE OF JEFFERSON”cover photo: Copco No. 1 Construction, at Dam Site, looking upstream, 1916 (Source: PacifiCorp Archive) COPCOLAND, IN THE “STATE OF JEFFERSON”originally published June, 2003 in KLAMATH HYDRO PROJECT, FERC #2082, historic context statement… This study was commissioned by PacifiCorp as an element in its Federal Energy Regulatory Commission relicensing process for the Klamath Hydroelectric Project.… Read more: HISTORY: COPCOLAND, IN THE “STATE OF JEFFERSON”
- 850,000 Klamath River Salmon Died From Gas Bubble Disease? MaybeThe ‘River of Death’ continues to earn its title… The California Department of Fish and Wildlife’s (CDFW) use of the explanation of ‘gas bubble disease’ to cover the death of the 850,000 fall-run Chinook salmon fry seems questionable in the face the known conditions at Iron Gate Dam (days during & following release from Fall… Read more: 850,000 Klamath River Salmon Died From Gas Bubble Disease? Maybe
- Safeguarding Democracy: The Voter Bill of Rights in Siskiyou CountyPresidential Primary Election – March 5, 2024In March, a total of 4,516 ballots were returned out of the 28,277 ballots that were mailed out in Siskiyou County. This data indicates a return rate of approximately 15.97%, showing the level of voter engagement and participation in the recent election cycle. The high number of returned ballots… Read more: Safeguarding Democracy: The Voter Bill of Rights in Siskiyou County
- DEAD ALREADY! CDFW Salmon Release Failed! cover photo: Juvenile Chinook salmon swim in a raceway at Iron Fish Gate Hatchery, Siskiyou County, Calif., before their relocation to the Fall Creek facility on July 7, 2021. (CDFW Photo/Travis VanZant) Klamath River Conditions Deadly – Still Killing Fish! Siskiyou News writer, William E. Simpson II who lives on the River, called it right in… Read more: DEAD ALREADY! CDFW Salmon Release Failed!
- Keep Our Schools Strong: Urging the District to Save Vital PositionsAttend the board meeting Monday March 4th, 2024Cafeteria-Gold Street School | 321 N. Gold Street Yreka CA 96097here is attached agenda: Special Board Meeting | 03/04/2024 – 06:00 PM “The Yreka Union School District faces major job losses. This affects Evergreen, Jackson St., and Gold St. schools. Please show your support! #SaveOurSchools #Yreka” The resolutions will take… Read more: Keep Our Schools Strong: Urging the District to Save Vital Positions