September 18, 1938 – August 9, 2023
Clyde Dean Hammond, a life-long rancher of Etna, CA, passed peacefully in his sleep on August 9, 2023, at the age of 84.
Clyde was born on September 18, 1938, in Fort Jones, CA, on the old Hammond Ranch, to Carl S. Hammond Sr. and Jessie K. Hammond. Clyde attended Etna Elementary and graduated from Etna High School in 1956. He served in the United States Army from December 1956 – December 1959. He was honorably discharged an E4 Specialist. Clyde was stationed in Berlin, Germany. He was a 101st Airborne paratrooper and ran cross country track during his enlistment. His decorations and commendations included; Marksman (Rifle M-1), Army of Occupation Medal (Berlin), Parachutist Badge, Good Conduct Medal, 1st Class Gunner (LMG), and Marksman (Pistol 45 Cal). Clyde enjoyed sharing stories and experiences of his service with family and friends.
Following his enlistment, Clyde tried his hand at the rodeo circuit and traveled the West Coast. He was a bareback bronc rider. Clyde hung up his spurs in 1970, when he met his wife, Teresa B. Hammond. Clyde and Teresa were married and shortly after, welcomed their first daughter, Michelle. Six years following, they welcomed their second daughter, Christina. Clyde’s first wife, Teresa, passed in 1990. He was married to Marilyn Hammond 1998–2017.
Clyde’s passion was the family ranch, Scott Valley Angus Ranch, and his family. It was common to see Clyde riding horseback, gathering cattle and herding them around the family summer ranges in Carter Meadows and the Salmons with his family in tow. He had an amazing ability to identify each of the cattle and recite their production and breeding history. Clyde’s dedication, hard work, and no nonsense take on life were an inspiration to both family and friends and will be missed by all.
Clyde is survived by his two daughters, Michelle Branson, and Christina (Gilbert) Brown, two grandchildren, one great grandchild, his brother Carl (Sue) Hammond Jr., sisters; Helen (Alvin) Lewis, Carol Munson, and numerous nieces and nephews. Clyde was preceded in death by his first wife Teresa, his father, Carl S. Hammond Sr., and his mother, Jessie K. Hammond.
A graveside service will be held on Thursday, August 31, 2023, at 10:00 AM at the Etna Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, the family request that donations be made to Scott Valley Scholarships & Education Awards, P.O. Box 352, Etna, CA 96027 for the Clyde Hammond scholarship.
Thursday, August 31, 2023
Sawyers Bar Road
Etna, CA 96027
- Mary Beth CatalanoSeptember 18, 1942 – September 21, 2023 Obituary Longtime Siskiyou County resident Mary Beth Catalano passed away on September 21, 2023 at her home in Mount Shasta. She had just celebrated her 81st birthday on September 18. Mary is survived by her children: Linda Nichols (Brett), Lisa Bennett (Dana) and Jesse Reece; two stepchildren, Terry Barlow (Mike) … Read more
- Lois Eileen SmithAugust 12, 1929 – September 17, 2023 Obituary Lois Eileen Smith (GMa LoLo) at age 94 went to be with our Lord on September 17, 2023. Living with congestive heart failure & atrial fibrillation since 2010, she was still active, lived alone, and drove her car until the age of 91. Lois was born on August 12, … Read more
- Edward Duncan SarmentoApril 6, 1950 – September 14, 2023 Obituary Edward Sarmento passed away peacefully on Thursday, September 14, 2023 at his home in Yreka. Ed was born April 6, 1950 to Edward “Chief” and Betty (Heisinger) Sarmento in Santa Cruz. Ed was raised in San Mateo in the Bay Area. While attending Hillsdale High School, Ed played football, … Read more
- Lawrie Ann SalvestrinJuly 5, 1952 – August 23, 2023 “With heavy hearts we announce the passing of our sister, Lawrie Ann Salvestrin, age 71. Lawrie was born in Weed, California on July 5, 1952, to Fred T. and Cesira Piva Salvestrin. She was a proud graduate of Weed Elementary and Weed High schools and College of the … Read more
- Alan Roy MeyersApril 11, 1957 – September 7, 2023 Obituary Alan Roy Meyers was born April 11, 1957 in Yreka, California. He lived in many places throughout his life including Sacramento, Santa Cruz, and Southern Oregon. He spent the last 35 years in Yreka where he passed on September 7, 2023. He is the firstborn child and only son … Read more