The hottest day of the year didn’t slow down any of the cow-folk that showed up at the Squaw Valley Riding Club (aka Horsemen’s) to compete for buckles, saddles, cash prizes, and points in their annual roping competition over the weekend.
Friday night was a kids’ competition which included barrel racing. On Saturday, there were 50 teams competing in the first round and 90 teams in the second round of roping steers. Competitors came from as far as Oregon and Nevada.
The horse club held a dance with live music by Front Porch from Carson Valley and a barbecue on Saturday night.
Sponsors included Hitchcock Construction, Lighthouse Chipping, Turner Construction, McCloud Mill Works, Big Valley Sanitation, Outlaw Saddles & Silver, Dan and Julie Wheeler, and Larry Godard. Buckle sponsors were Matt Willson, Outlaw Saddle, Caleb Martin, John Ingram, Caroline Stone, Dawson Clark, Heather McRae, Billie and Gary Lewis, Randy Ives, Peter and Diane Tolosano, Steve and Frankie Clark, the Glynn Family, and Larry Godard.
- Lessons From Elwha Dam Project and Salmon Recovery – Comparisons For the Klamath Rivercover image courtesy of USGS It’s been ten years since the Elwha Dam (5-miles upstream) and Glines Canyon Dam (13-miles upstream) were removed from the 45-mile long Elwha River. And other than a change in scenery, the results are quite unremarkable, especially considering the cost to taxpayers. Yet we still find misinformed people who keep holding-out the Elwha Dam removal… Read more: Lessons From Elwha Dam Project and Salmon Recovery – Comparisons For the Klamath River
- Gun Enthusiasts and Supporters Unite for Prime Rib Dinner and Raffle ExtravaganzaYreka, CA – Get ready for a night of great food, thrilling raffles, and a chance to support firearms rights on March 2, 2024, at the Old Yreka High School Gym. Doors open at 4 p.m., with a mouthwatering prime rib dinner cooked by Grill Master Dave Tyler starting at 5 p.m. This exciting event… Read more: Gun Enthusiasts and Supporters Unite for Prime Rib Dinner and Raffle Extravaganza
- Health and Human Services Provides Shower and Laundry Services for Homeless Individuals in YrekaThis collaborative effort between Health and Human Services and the City of Yreka demonstrates a commitment to addressing the immediate needs of the homeless population. The upcoming provision of shower and laundry services for homeless individuals in Yreka represents a significant step towards supporting the well-being of the local homeless population. Through collaborative efforts and… Read more: Health and Human Services Provides Shower and Laundry Services for Homeless Individuals in Yreka
- SISQ ARREST REPORT: January 22nd – 28th, 2024The following Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Department ARREST, BOOKINGS Report Contains:individuals who are innocent, until the State proves them guilty. Please respect their fundamental human and legal rights. Brief summary of arrest statistics by agency: Yreka Police Department: Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office: Siskiyou County Jail: CHP Mt Shasta & CHP Yreka: Weed Police Department: Here are summaries… Read more: SISQ ARREST REPORT: January 22nd – 28th, 2024
- the Obituary of John Donald HollemanLongtime Yreka resident John Donald Holleman passed away on February 19, 2024 at Madrone Hospice in Yreka. He was 83 years old. John was born on April 20, 1940 in El Paso, Texas. On July 13, 1959 John married Jerilyn Misuraca. The family moved to Yreka in 1973, where they have lived since. John owned… Read more: the Obituary of John Donald Holleman