The deconstruction of Copco No. 2, the smallest of the four hydroelectric dams being removed, is well underway. This week crews removed the gates, walkway, and two of the five bays down to the spillway. The remaining bays will direct waters around the dam, rather than over it, to allow construction activities during the summer months. Expected full deconstruction to conclude this fall.Klamath River Renewal Corp FB Page
Top & Bottom Photo Credit Shane Anderson Swiftwater Films
In early May 1910 the Siskiyou Electric Power and Light Company started surveys of Ward’s Canyon on the Klamath River and the reservoir area above for the purpose of purchasing land and building a hydroelectric power plant.
- HISTORY: COPCOLAND, IN THE “STATE OF JEFFERSON”cover photo: Copco No. 1 Construction, at Dam Site, looking upstream, 1916 (Source: PacifiCorp Archive) COPCOLAND, IN THE “STATE OF JEFFERSON”originally published June, 2003 in KLAMATH HYDRO PROJECT, FERC #2082, historic context statement… This study was commissioned by PacifiCorp as an element in its Federal Energy Regulatory Commission relicensing process for the Klamath Hydroelectric Project.… Read more: HISTORY: COPCOLAND, IN THE “STATE OF JEFFERSON”
- 850,000 Klamath River Salmon Died From Gas Bubble Disease? MaybeThe ‘River of Death’ continues to earn its title… The California Department of Fish and Wildlife’s (CDFW) use of the explanation of ‘gas bubble disease’ to cover the death of the 850,000 fall-run Chinook salmon fry seems questionable in the face the known conditions at Iron Gate Dam (days during & following release from Fall… Read more: 850,000 Klamath River Salmon Died From Gas Bubble Disease? Maybe
- Safeguarding Democracy: The Voter Bill of Rights in Siskiyou CountyPresidential Primary Election – March 5, 2024In March, a total of 4,516 ballots were returned out of the 28,277 ballots that were mailed out in Siskiyou County. This data indicates a return rate of approximately 15.97%, showing the level of voter engagement and participation in the recent election cycle. The high number of returned ballots… Read more: Safeguarding Democracy: The Voter Bill of Rights in Siskiyou County
- DEAD ALREADY! CDFW Salmon Release Failed! cover photo: Juvenile Chinook salmon swim in a raceway at Iron Fish Gate Hatchery, Siskiyou County, Calif., before their relocation to the Fall Creek facility on July 7, 2021. (CDFW Photo/Travis VanZant) Klamath River Conditions Deadly – Still Killing Fish! Siskiyou News writer, William E. Simpson II who lives on the River, called it right in… Read more: DEAD ALREADY! CDFW Salmon Release Failed!
- Keep Our Schools Strong: Urging the District to Save Vital PositionsAttend the board meeting Monday March 4th, 2024Cafeteria-Gold Street School | 321 N. Gold Street Yreka CA 96097here is attached agenda: Special Board Meeting | 03/04/2024 – 06:00 PM “The Yreka Union School District faces major job losses. This affects Evergreen, Jackson St., and Gold St. schools. Please show your support! #SaveOurSchools #Yreka” The resolutions will take… Read more: Keep Our Schools Strong: Urging the District to Save Vital Positions
Avery Theatre CDF&W CHSRA Copco Dunsmuir Dunsmuir Elementary Dunsmuir Wildcats Easter Egg Hunt Etna EtnaCa FERC Forest Service Irongate Iron Gate jr high rodeo Junior High Rodeo KCOC klamath Klamath National Forest klamath river Klamath River Dams KNF KRRC Main Street Homestead McCloud Montague Mount Hermon Mount Shasta Mt Shasta obituary Rodeo Salmon Scott River Scott Valley Scott Valley Agriculture Water Alliance Siskiyou Siskiyou County Siskiyou County Board of Supervisors Siskiyou District Attorney Office Siskiyou Golden Fair The Well USDA KNF weedca YPD Yreka