The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines woke as being aware of important facts and issues, especially regarding racial and social justice. This tells us that “woke” people are informed people who are compassionate, committed to getting rid of all forms of discrimination, and making the world a better place for all.
Would the messages Jesus preached qualify as being “woke” as we understand it today? His words and actions demonstrated the importance of embracing all individuals, regardless of society’sprejudices. Jesus confronted religious hypocrisy, social injustice, and spoke out against oppressive systems and practices. Hestood with and spoke for the poor and the oppressed. Jesus embraced equality and diversity.
Jesus emphasized caring for the most vulnerable members of society, such as the hungry, the sick, the poor and strangers. Heshowed compassion for marginalized people and suggested that we should do likewise, because that is how God will judge us. (Matthew 25:31-46)
The Apostle Paul wrote “There is no longer Jew or Greek; there is no longer slave or free; there is no longer male and female, for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.” (Galatians 3:28). Jesus affirmed the equal worth and value of every individual, breaking down society’s social barriers and emphasizing the importance of equality and love for all people. Today, the list would be expanded to say there is no longer straight or gay, pro-life or pro-choice, black or white, Hispanic or Asian, trans or queer, Republican or Democrat, rural or urban, fat or skinny, etc.
During the 2023 Conservative Political Action Conference, speaker after speaker attacked ‘woke’ ideology in their speechesby telling lies about what woke really is. Why? Were they afraid of equality for all would lessen white power? Were they afraid that they would lose support if their supporters learned the truth that their current beliefs and actions make them racist?
Today’s Republican politicians are telling us that we must fight ‘the woke’ in our schools, in our businesses, and in government agencies and never surrender to the evils of woke ideology. If we do this, we are told, then minorities won’t gain power over us.
Today, if Jesus was living on earth, he and his teachings would be vilified and condemned by Republican politicians and the conservative news media. The conservative Christians need to think about that.
Jesus called out the greed and hypocrisy among religious people (Matthew 23:1-36) and encouraged his followers to be aware of double standards and to live with integrity. These anti-woke politicians and their supporters are living a phony Christian life.The sad part is that their supporters believe them instead of what Jesus preached.
Jesus’ basic teaching, the Golden Rule, is synonymous with being woke: “Do to others as you would have them do to you.” (Luke 6:31). It could not be said any simpler. Today, those opposed to being woke are violating everything Jesus taught us.
I believe that the case has been made that Jesus did preach thatbeing woke is how we should live our lives. The Kingdom of God is “woke”. That leaves out anti-woke politicians and their supporters.
- 850,000 Chinook Salmon Fry Released Into Fall CreekOn Tuesday February 27, 2024 a rumor started circulating. My phone rang and the voice at the other end informed me that “about a million salmon fry were released into Fall Creek”, which empties into the Klamath River. I prefer facts over rumors, so I jumped into my truck and drove up to the shiny-new Fall… Read more: 850,000 Chinook Salmon Fry Released Into Fall Creek
- Winter Travel Advisory for February 29 – March 3, 2024 ***Caltrans District 2 New Facebook Page Caltrans – District 2 REDDING – The National Weather Service is forecasting a significant winter weather system for the Northern California area, starting Thursday and lasting through Sunday. Snow levels are currently forecast to start around 4,500 – 5,500 feet on Thursday and may lower to 1,000 feet or less… Read more: Winter Travel Advisory for February 29 – March 3, 2024
- TINY HOUSE MOVEMENT: Comes To The Mt Shasta AreaThree weeks ago, on a winter afternoon Pam Newman and Shane McClellan kicked off the first meeting of a group focused on easing issues relating to local affordable housing/shelter. The vision of this group is: To co-create a tiny house community set up in the Mt Shasta area done in an eco-friendly manner to help… Read more: TINY HOUSE MOVEMENT: Comes To The Mt Shasta Area
- Voter Confirmation WebsiteHave you ever wondered if your vote really counted? Or if your political party affiliation was changed without your knowledge? Well, wonder no more! There’s a fantastic site that allows you to check your political party, the status of your ballot, and whether they actually counted your vote. It’s a great way to ensure that… Read more: Voter Confirmation Website
- Another Opinion on Restoring the Elwha published in the Washington Post:https://web.archive.org/web/20150513225348/http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/elwha-dam-removal-illustrates-growing-movement/2011/09/13/gIQAZFjtYK_story.html Elwha project manager, estimates it will take 25 to 30 years for the river to return to its natural state “Almost entirely contained within Washington’s Olympic National Park, the Elwha is untouched aside from the concrete structures that have reduced its wild salmon spawning population from 400,000 to about 3,000. Three of the salmon… Read more: Another Opinion on Restoring the Elwha published in the Washington Post: